Analyze graphical data to determine underlying trends in data.. Graphs are a useful tool in presenting and analyzing data. Graphical analysis can help present trends, determine dependent vs. independent variables, and recognize big patterns that may exist in the data. In this assignment, you will review some basic statistical concepts and then use graphical analysis to determine what useful information exists within the data. The US government is an excellent source of data on many topics. The census bureau contains data on many different facets of American life. This assignment will also introduce you to some of the data that can be found in the census bureau database.
Upon successful completion of this assignment, you will be able to:
- Analyze graphical data to determine underlying trends in data.
- Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
- Read chapters I, II, and III (Introduction, Graphing Distributions, and Summarizing Distributions) in the online textbook. Watch the videos and powerpoints that go with each chapter.
- Review the following article and websites found in the resources for this assignment:
- 6 dos and don’ts for next-level slides, from a TED presentation expert
- Designing Effective “PowerPoint Presentations
- Effective Presentations in Engineering and Science: Guidelines and Video Examples – Structure
- Effective Presentations in Engineering and Science: Guidelines and Video Examples – Speech
- Effective Presentations in Engineering and Science: Guidelines and Video Examples – Delivery
- Effective Presentations in Engineering and Science: Guidelines and Video Examples – Visual Aids
- PowerPoint Training: Add and Record Audio
- You will prepare an eight to ten-minute voice narrated PowerPoint presentation on discussing the differences and similarities between two communities using various graphical tools. A video tutorial on creating this type of presentation is located in the instruction above.
- For this assignment, go to the Census Bureau Quick Facts link. In the top left corner, enter the zip code, town, city, or county name of the area where you live to get a table of quick facts about your community. In the more option on the menu board at the top of the screen, you will find CSV. Select this option to download an Excel spreadsheet with the quick table information. Select one other community in your state or region that is approximately the same size and download the quick facts for that community.
- Prepare a set of graphs that compare the two communities in at least five different areas. Each graph must be different in format from the rest (bar chart, pie chart, doughnut chart, etc). Using these graphs, prepare a Voice Narration PowerPoint that discusses the differences and similarities noted between the two communities. The PowerPoint should be 8 to 10 minutes in length.
- The presentation should follow a logical and coherent sequence with a strong introduction, clear progression of ideas and thoughts, and an effective conclusion.
- Be sure to strategically use creative and attractive sound, volume, inflection, graphics, fonts, and formats that add value to the presentation.
- Follow the steps involved in planning and preparing for a speech:
- Your presentation should include an introduction and conclusion slides with 5 – 6 body slides.
- Each slide should have approximately 40 to 60 seconds of narration.
- Use proper spelling, grammar, and APA formatting for your citations.
- When you have completed your assignment, submit a copy to your instructor using the Assignment submission page.
- The assignment is due by the end of the workshop.