Antivirus Software Recommendation. Scenario:
The CEO of 504 Technologies again turns to you for help with a technology problem. The satellite office’s computers are getting old and need to be replaced. This is an opportunity to focus on the individual computer purchase, which will include the hardware, operating system, main productivity suite, and antivirus software.
You have discussed the possibility of BYOD (Bring Your Own Device), but the security risks are deemed too great in this particular office. While you are then tempted to custom build the computers (with various parts from different vendors), the CEO is insistent on “all-in-one” packages. This means your choices are either laptops or desktop computers that have the tower, monitor, keyboard, and mouse in one package.
Your task is to create a business-like proposal that compares products, features, and prices, and then provides a final recommendation. The focus is on the single computer, as the number of machines ultimately to be purchased has not yet been determined.
Since the focus is products, features, and prices, search in vendors’ websites for sources. Do not use comparison websites; you must go straight to the vendor or primary source. If you are unsure that your source choices are appropriate, contact your professor early in the unit for assistance.
- Write a suitable, descriptive title.
- Identify the client’s name and your name.
- Include the date.
Starting on page 2, provide the following in the order given below.
- In paragraph form, explain the purpose of the proposal and give a brief summary of your final recommendation. Required length: 50–80 words.
- Compare two different laptop or all-in-one desktop computers by identifying at least four (4) important features of each and placing them in a Word table.
- Under the table, provide the URLs to the vendors’ pages where you found this information.
- Write a paragraph of 50–80 words to explain why one is a better choice for the client than the other. Do not do additional research for this paragraph; use your critical thinking skills.
- Then write a statement that provides the prices for the two computers.
Operating System Recommendation
- Write a paragraph of 50–80 words in which you choose an operating system for the client’s computers. Justify your reasoning.
- Provide the URL to the vendor’s page.
- Then write a statement that explains the cost of the operating system.
Productivity Software Recommendations
- Compare Microsoft Office to one of these open source suites: Google Docs/Sheets/Slides, OpenOffice®, or LibreOffice®. Use a Word table for this comparison and include pertinent information about word processing, spreadsheets, and presentations. Make sure you go to primary sources, not a comparison site, so this comparison is created by you.
- Under the table, provide the URLs to your sources.
- Write a paragraph of 50–80 words that explains which suite you have chosen for the client and why. Do not do additional research; use your critical thinking skills.
- Then write a statement that provides the prices for the two software packages.