Describe the beginning of policy analysis.
Policy analysis begins with a review of current literature. Health care leaders must understand how and why laws are created. The best way to explore the historical significance and underpinnings of current legislation is to read the literature. Health policy making and legislation are dynamic processes influenced by multiple factors. A thorough review of the literature helps a policy analyst determine whether specific legislation is having the intended impact and if it has produced unintended consequences. In addition, a literature review enables informed recommendations for policy changes and advocacy.
This assignment provides an opportunity for you to complete an in-depth literature review related to the health care legislation you chose to investigate in this course.
By successfully completing this assignment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assignment criteria:
- Competency 2: Evaluate significant federal and state legislation that affects the scope of, access to, availability of, and reimbursement for health care services.
- Summarize findings from the literature on the effects of legislation on the scope, access to, availability of, and reimbursement for health care services.
- Analyze the effects of at least one piece of legislation on health care access, cost, and/or quality.
- Competency 3: Analyze the effects of values and assumptions inherent in the changing priorities in health planning and resource allocation.
- Articulate underlying assumptions, values, and biases in the literature.
- Competency 5: Recommend possible initiatives available to address current gaps in health care policy.
- Identify current gaps in health care policy.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of specific legislation in closing current gaps in health care policy.
- Competency 6: Communicate effectively, in an appropriate form and style, consistent with applicable organizational, professional, and scholarly standards.
- Write clearly and concisely in a logically coherent and appropriate form and style.