Do you agree with the majority opinion or the dissenting opinion in this case?. Right to Privacy Case Study
Certain freedoms such as civil liberties and civil rights are concepts highly revered by Americans; however, there are times when these two concepts conflict in the name of safety and national security. The Digital Age is having a profound effect on the privacy of individuals in both their daily and private lives. With technology like cameras and smartphones, the activities of people are being recorded more, whether it is running a red light, entering a building, playing in a park, or using an ATM machine.
In this assignment, you will analyze a case involving public safety versus an individual’s privacy. Read the following article from the New York Times concerning Carpenter v. United States, a case recently decided by the Supreme Court.
Liptak, A. (2018, June 23). Warrant required for cellphone tracking data. New York Times, p. A1(L). Retrieved from http://link.galegroup.com.libraryresources.columbiasouthern.edu/apps/doc/A543973598/ STND?u=oran95108&sid=STND&xid=753160e8
For more background on the case, here is a link to the actual opinion written for this case: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/17pdf/16-402_h315.pdf
Please answer the following questions concerning this case. Address the questions in a cohesive essay. It should be at least two pages in length and should be double-spaced, and typed in 12-point Times New Roman font. Please be sure to provide an introduction to your essay,
- Which part of the Constitution addresses individual privacy rights? Do you believe that, with today’s technology, the Constitution still adequately protects those rights? Why, or why not?
- Describe the issue that was debated in this case. How was the need for public safety and security balanced with individual civil liberties and civil rights impacted by the final ruling in this case?
- Do you agree with the majority opinion or the dissenting opinion in this case? Explain your response. Where do you personally draw the line in this privacy issue?
- Explain how historical thought and tradition affect civil liberties and rights as they pertain to the issue presented in this case.
- Describe how politics can intersect with civil rights.
- What consequences do you support for those who violate constitutional rights?
- What, if any, compensation do you recommend for individuals whose rights have been violated by others?
You must use at least two sources, in addition to the article given, to support your response. Make sure that all sources are cited and referenced using APA style.