Do you think the resort fee practice constitutes deceptive advertising?.
Be sure to base your initial post and responses on course materials,
1. It has happened to all of us. You go online to find a hotel for business, or a vacation and you find a hotel that is well located at a very attractive price. You go through the reservation process, and right on the final page as you are preparing to authorize a charge on your credit card, there appears a charge called a resort fee or a facilities fee as well as taxes on that fee that raise the nightly cost of the hotel room by 30%. You give in as you have already spent too much time searching for a room and hit the button that charges your credit card. That is what hotels count on. The resort fee has become a widespread practice that makes a lot of money for the hotel industry. Although there are some legal actions and proposed legislation, the practice has not been declared illegal. Read: https://www.consumerreports.org/fees-billing/the-sneaky-ways-hotels-are-hiding-their-resort-fees/
- Do you think the resort fee practice constitutes deceptive advertising? Why or why not?
- Do you think the practice is unethical? Why or why not?
The Business Ethics Workshop (2012) Washington, DC: The Saylor Foundation
Chapter 12: The Selling Office: Advertising and Consumer Protection (pages 529-566)
Offensive/Exploitive/Insensitive/Violent—short of illegal
- The Most Offensive Urban Outfitters Products to Ever Exist
- Sorry About That: Wells Fargo to End Ads Suggesting Science Over Arts
- Update: Hyundai Apologizes For Car Ad Depicting Attempted Suicide
- Ikea apologises over removal of women from Saudi Arabia catalogue
False Claims to Making One Healthier, Richer, Younger–illegal
- 14 False Advertising Scandals That Cost Brands Millions
- Controversial Lollipop Ad Goes Up in Times Square
- FTC to Crack Down on Deceptive Weight-Loss Ads
- The fall of “anti-aging” skin care
- FTC Action Puts Deceptive Marketer Out of the Debt Relief Business
- Federal Trade Commission Act Section 5: Unfair or Deceptive Acts or Practices