Essay for Analysis: Gwen Wilde, ” Why the Pledge of Allegiance Should be Revised “..
1.Read Pages 76-81 – Essay for Analysis: Gwen Wilde, ” Why the Pledge of Allegiance Should be Revised “.
2. On pages 80-81, Complete the Topic for Critical Thinking and Writing Exercise by choosing and responding to 5 of the 15 questions or statements with a minimum of one paragraph responses for each one chosen. Identify each response as follows:
A2 … etc…
1. Analyze the sources used in this essay. What is each source? Which source has an editor? Which source lacks an author? Are the sources varied, scholarly, and recent? Do they enhance the credibility of the author or diminish it?
2. Summarize the essay in a single paragraph.
3. Does the background material about the history of the pledge serve a useful purpose? Should it be deleted? Why, or why not?
4. What arguments does the writer offer in support of her position? List each point of evidence and determine what type of support each point of evidence demonstrates.
5. List the acknowledgements of any counterarguments the author makes. Is this adequate, or does the writer appear blinded by his or her own perspective? Why, or why not?
6. Which is the writer’s strongest argument? Is any argument notably weak, and, if so, how could it be strengthened?
7. What assumptions—tacit or explicit—does the author make? Do you agree or disagree with them? Please explain.
8. Chief Justice Rehnquist wrote that the words “under God” are a “descriptive phrase.” What do you think he meant by this?
9. What is the purpose of the Pledge of Allegiance? Does the phrase “under God” promote or defeat that purpose? Explain your answer.
10. What do you think about substituting “with religious freedom” for “under God”? Set forth your response, supporting your reasons.
11. Devise an AP Analysis Essay question related to this essay.