Evolution of legal definitions for criminal responsibility.
- Identify a current or controversial issue that forensic psychology professionals face that has been recently influenced by legislation, case law, or national policies. (Refer to the next list for possible issues.)
- Explain the legal and policy decisions that have contributed to the evolution of the current legal status of the selected issue.
- Summarize relevant research in psychology that has informed the manner in which the forensic psychology professional conducts research or consultation related to the selected issue.
- Describe ethical dilemmas likely encountered by the forensic psychology professional while conducting research or consultation related to the selected issue.
- Integrate research about legal laws and policies with scholarly research findings in order to propose recommended best practice standards related to the selected issue.
- Explain how the recommended best-practice standards will contribute to social change.
Possible issues to focus on in the Final Project:
- Evolution of legal definitions for criminal responsibility
- Civil commitment for mental health evaluation or treatment
- Civil commitment of sex offenders
- Death penalty evaluations or investigations
- Transfer of juveniles to adult court and competency to stand trial
- Police use of force and public perceptions, victim impact, officer impact, police departmental/agency policies
- Role of the forensic psychology professional in terrorism investigations
- Hate crimes and punishment (special provisions for hate crimes versus prosecuting with existing laws)
- Victim impact, impact on social change