Identify the actual genre of film you are analyzing. Identify the actual genre of film you are analyzing
Length: 4-5 pages.
DUE: November 21
For this assignment you will be doing a genre analysis of a film. I suggest you pick a film that you are familiar with as it will make your analysis easier. However, make sure it is a GOOD film and not a “fluff” piece that has very little substance to it either cinematically or from a storyline perspective.
NOTE: DO NOT RETELL THE ENTIRE MOVIE. STICK TO THE PARTS THAT HIGHLIGHT AND EXPLAIN THE TOPICS ON THIS HANDOUT.
Refer to the Prezi on film genres and the handout on Blackboard on Film Analysis Terms.
A genre analysis should cover the following:
1) Identify the actual genre of film you are analyzing
2) Identify briefly what type of audience this film appeals to and why
3) Identify at least ONE past film (20-50 years) of a similar genre your film compares to and ONE recent (within 10 years) film your film fits in with
4) Detail briefly the critical reaction your film received—Rotten Tomatoes is a good place to start
5) Detail and discuss the film on the following:
Narrative – How the story is told using similar–sometimes formulaic–plots and structures, predictable situations, sequences, episodes, obstacles, conflicts and resolutions that your film presents and how and why they are representative of the film genre your movie falls into