You just saw the following advertisements for four different jobs. Pick the one that you are interested in applying for.
Local distribution warehouse seeking an operations manager. One year of experience in manufacturing. 2 years of management experience preferred. Strong organizational and time management skills. Flexible schedule to cover day, evening, and weekend shifts. The job requires strong communication skills to interact with plant leads, engineers, and other cross-functional sectors for product rollouts. Some college preferred. Send résumé and cover letter to: ProductsRUs, 324 Cedar Canyon Way, Dallas, TX 75202. Attention: Mr. A. Team, Human Resources Manager.
Retail Sales Associate
Dallas-area apparel store looking for a retail sales associate. Must be friendly, knowledgeable, and have excellent people skills. One year of retail sales experience required. Flexible schedule to cover evening, weekend, and holiday shifts. Send résumé and cover letter to: Hannah’s Fashions, 1311 Rodeo Drive, Dallas, TX 75231. Attention: Ms. Hannah DeVille, Owner
Family-owned facility services company in search of an administrative assistant. At least one year of office administration experience. Proficient in Microsoft Office. Experience with record-keeping and new employee processing. Strong organizational and time management skills. Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to multi-task and work in a team environment. Ability to handle confidential information. The job involves a lot of telephone contact. Attention to detail in note-taking, composing, and proofreading documentation. Some college preferred. Please send your résumé and cover letter to Mr. John Smith at 1700 Dallas Ave, Lancaster, TX 75134.
Dottie’s Daycare seeking a full-time childcare specialist. Must be able to care for infants and children under the age of 4. Must have clean background check and experience with children. A friendly disposition and love of kids goes a long way! Hours of operation are 6 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday-Friday. Send résumé and cover letter to the owner, Dottie Hayes, at 2222 Dallas Ave, Lancaster, TX 75134.
- Choose a job from the list shown above for which you qualify and could apply.
- Create a scannable résumé and a cover letter for the advertised job you selected.
- Refer to the résumé content in Unit 3B to review how to compose a scannable résumé.
- Refer to the sample letter in Unit 3A to construct the cover letter to accompany the résumé.
- Your résumé and cover letter should be free from errors in grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Be sure that the information you provide on your resume is accurate, but appropriate for the position for which you are applying. In other words, DO NOT simply submit a previously prepared resume. It must be in the scannable format and must be tailored for the job selected.