Physicians and the hip replacement surgery. 8. Ariely goes on to say that some people might explain away the organ donor phenomena by saying that it is something that people don’t care about. But, he says “it’s so complex that we don’t know what to do. And because we have no idea what to do, we just pick whatever it was that was chosen for us.” What is he saying about how we make the most difficult and complex decisions in our lives?
9. What does the example of the physicians and the hip replacement surgery demonstrate about how we make decisions?
10. What do the examples of the weekend trip option, the Economist advertisement, and the Tom and Jerry images demonstrate about how people make decisions?
11. How does Ariely believe that we have done a better job dealing with our physical world than with our mental world?
12. What does he say that we need to do to “design a better mental world”?
13. Go back to the decisions and criteria that you listed in the quick write. What are some ways that you might be biased when you make those decisions? How might some of Ariely’s examples apply to you?