summarize and reflect on the process of creating a unit plan in English language arts.
In planning and instructing ELA content, it is important to be able to create a cohesive unit that encompasses various aspects of ELA including reading, writing, speaking, viewing, listening, and thinking skills.
Part 1: Unit Plan
For this benchmark, you will choose one of the three lesson plans you created in this course to build a weeklong unit plan. Complete the “ELA Unit Plan” template to prepare a weeklong English language arts unit plan. Utilize any previously received feedback from your instructor to modify and adjust instruction to meet the diverse needs of “Class Profile” students.
For the ELA unit plan, include the following components.
- Lesson title
- Alignment to ELA state standards
- Learning objectives
- Instructional strategies
- Summary of instruction
- Materials, resources, and technology
- Formative and summative assessments
The unit plan must focus on integrating the following elements.
- Learning activities and instruction integrating ELA concepts on reading, writing, speaking, viewing, listening, and thinking skills that helps students apply skills to various situations, materials, and ideas.
- Differentiation activities based on the various cognitive, linguistic, social, emotional, and physical developmental needs of students in the “Class Profile.”
- Communication resources, including digital tools and resources that are student-centered, provide equitable access, and develop cultural understanding and global awareness.
- Formative and summative assessments to modify, adjust, and strengthen instruction.
Part 2: Reflection
In 250-500 words, summarize and reflect on the process of creating a unit plan in English language arts. How does your unit plan help students successfully apply their developing skills to different situations, materials, and ideas? What challenges did you face when trying to meet the developmental needs of all students? How can family and community support the instruction and selected instructional strategies?