Why are you personally passionate about this organization?. The purpose of this speech is to encourage students to get involved in community affairs by researching a nonprofit organization aligned with their values and presenting their findings in organized speech formats. The following information will help you begin researching, outlining and practicing your speech.
Questions to Guide Your Speechwriting (choose some questions to cover in your speech):
· How long has this organization been around? Why was it originally founded?
· What products/services does this organization offer?
· Who or what is impacted by the organization’s work? (e.g., homeless veterans, Oregon wildlife, cancer survivors, etc.)
· What is the organization’s mission? Its values?
· Why are you personally passionate about this organization? Have you donated or volunteered for them before? If so, what were your experiences like?
· What information stood out to you from its profile on Charity Navigator?
· Why should other people support this organization? What makes it a better option compared to similar nonprofits?
Outline Requirements (note: your oral speech should be substantially longer than the outline):
· 1-3 sentences introduction
· Thesis statement & preview of 2-3 main points
· Main points #1-3 (with transitions in between; mention where you will be citing your sources as well)
· Conclusion: summary of main points, link back to the introduction
· Bibliography with proper MLA or APA citations at the end
Speech Timeframe: 3½ to 4½ minutes long
Notes: You’re permitted to use 3×5” notecards (cut up a piece of paper, if you don’t have any notecards at home).
Different Sources Required: 3 published since 2017, including Charity Navigator
Verbal Source Citations Must Include: Publication name (e.g., Charity Navigator) and publication date with month/day/year OR say “last accessed on [date you viewed the info online]” if there’s no date available.